Alibaba Group’s c2c ecommerce brand Taobao recently launched a new channel targeting China’s growing senior population. The strategic move makes sense, given China’s quickly aging demographic. Those age 60 and above will surpass 255 million by 2020.
Taobao for “elders” will streamline the user experience with less overwhelming and targeted content for senior shoppers. China’s aged now depend heavily on the ecommerce site to deliver life’s essentials including groceries.
Indirectly reaching younger generations supporting their parents financially is also part of it. The new channel will have a peer-to-peer chat feature that connects the generational divide. Part of it includes a “pay-for-me” option where well-to-do offspring can turn around and pay up, once shopping cart reaches capacity.
The brand’s strategy aligns well with a market that has undergone rapid upward mobility and urbanization.
Some things to keep in mind: China’s population remains 43% rural compared to 18% in the U.S. Income levels are also significantly higher for those living in cities. Purchasing power is another important metric, since the vast majority of Chinese still cannot afford to travel.
The middle class continues to ballon, however. Demographers expect it to expand from 430 million today to 780 million in the mid-2020s.
Travel brands targeting China’s outbound traveler should take note and consider these familial dynamics. Recent data from Tuniu estimates those 55 and older account for 18% of the total China online travel market.
Here’s additional background on Chinese family life from the Global Policy Institute.
“While it is no longer the norm for extended families to live together, family members still retain strong ties, and often depend on each other for financial and interpersonal support. Parents encourage and help their adult children by providing financial assistance and childcare, and children care for their elderly parents by providing emotional support, financial subsidies, and physical help.”
Find more insight about the campign on Alibaba’s official news channel.
Here's an explainer video about how Taobao works:
And for our Subscribers
- Apr 20, 2018 Amazon's Loyalty Strategy Boils Down To Transforming Value Into Addiction
- Apr 17, 2018 Rental Economy DNA: Opportunities Within The Folds
- Apr 7, 2018 Hi Jeff! Please Help Share My Home
- Apr 5, 2018 Analysis: Amazon Primed For Vacation Rental Management?
- Apr 5, 2018 Going Prime: Assessing Amazon's Disruptive Potential In Travel
- Mar 27, 2018 Why Facebook Needs To Act Fast To Contain Its Brand Trust Breach
- Feb 27, 2018 Sentiment Analysis: How America Actually Feels About Facebook
- Feb 21, 2018 Why AT&T Could Become The Next Big Travel Industry Gatekeeper
- Feb 19, 2018 The Magic Leap: Mixed Reality Will Transform Travel Within a Decade
- Feb 19, 2018 Documentaries a Good Proxy For Wider Adoption of Virtual Reality
- Feb 14, 2018 How Taobao Targets China's “Silver Economy”
- Feb 7, 2018 Prediction: Large Corporate Buyers Will Accelerate Blockchain Adoption in Travel
- Feb 2, 2018 VR Live-Streaming of PyeongChang Olympics Points to Future of Virtual Reality in Travel
- Jan 29, 2018 Young Americans Spending More Time At Home
- Jan 27, 2018 Spain Moves First On 5G Announcement, Before Mobile World Congress
- Jan 14, 2018 ISP Slow Lanes and Fast Lanes Could Spell Trouble For Hotel Bookings.
- Jan 14, 2018 More Uber Billions For Urban Automation
- Jan 14, 2018 Uber is a taxi service, say European Courts
- Jan 14, 2018 Spike in Russia tourism to Cuba coincides with trade renaissance, as U.S. disengages
- Jan 8, 2018 Google Pay Will Push Hotel Chains to Take Digital Payments Seriously
- Jan 8, 2018 The U.S. Will Likely Look to Spain to Help Build its High-Speed Rail Network
- Nov 1, 2016 Heading to Argentina on business? Know These Top Twelve Tourism Industry Leaders
- Oct 8, 2016 2016 Colombian Travel Market Forecast: Cheap Peso Attracts Millennials, Zika Impact Palpable
- Sep 14, 2016 If TripAdvisor Were an OTA, How Big Would It Be?
- Aug 4, 2016 Analysis: UX Could Become Airbnb's Achilles' Heel
- Apr 14, 2016 Flipkey Brand Days Could Be Numbered
- Apr 14, 2016 Why Travel Loyalty Programs Belong on The Blockchain
- Mar 24, 2016 Analysis: HomeAway Should Push Harder to Consolidate And Compete as a Global Lifestyle Brand
- Mar 14, 2016 Data: With Bilateral Air Services Agreement Approaching, Who Owns the Skies Over Mexico?
- Mar 4, 2016 Data: Spain and beyond - easyJet Market Penetration by Country
- Feb 14, 2016 Beyond Lima: Decoding Peru's Fragmented Visitor Base
- Feb 14, 2016 TRAVEL MARKETING ALERT: The GIFers are coming
- Feb 14, 2016 Apple Inc. Is Transforming Travel Through Maps, and Could Acquire Yelp in the Process
- Feb 5, 2016 Ten Shades of Bleisure Travel
- Jan 28, 2016 Analysis: Twitter Moments and Content Curation, Good or Bad for Marketing?
- Jan 20, 2016 Instant Booking Is In The Water. Now What for TripAdvisor?
- Jan 5, 2016 Priceline + TripAdvisor: How Far Will This Go?
- Dec 10, 2015 From Sales to Marketing, A New Era For Europe's High Street
- Dec 6, 2015 Colombia's Travel Consumer: Where They Go, What They Buy, How They Pay
- Dec 4, 2015 Changing Lanes: Ground Transportation in Mexico
- Dec 4, 2015 Spain's Low Mobile Penetration Myth, Mobile-First in Every Market
- Nov 18, 2015 Why George Soros Likes Latin America's Hotel Sector
- Nov 14, 2015 Why Spanish OTA Atrápalo Pulled Out From Brazil (Hint: Not Just Economy)
- Nov 4, 2015 Airbnb LATAM Director Also Points to Grand Ambitions Beyond Homestays